There is now an updated version of the subsites webpart available for download.The new version, version 1.5, adds sorting functionality and you can also limit the number of subsites shown.
This is a simple webpart to show a list (with links) of subsites immediately below the current site.
This webpart will work on both Sharepoint 2010 and Sharepoint Foundation. On Sharepoint 2010 you could have used the built in “Table of Contents” webpart to do similar things but this one can also display the list as a dropdown list to save space on the webpage and it can open links in a new window.
All the settings can be edited in the webpart configuration panel.
The settings are:
- Show bullet in list – this will display the small square gif in front of the site name
- Open link in new window – this will open the subsite in a new window
- Show Site Description – this will show the description you entered when you created the subsite
- Show icon – Shows a icon for the type of subsite, see picture.
- Show as Dropdown list – Will display the subsites in a dropdown box to save space.
- Sort by Date – This will sort the list of subsites by created date, the default is to sort by the site title
- Sort Order – Select to sort the list Ascending or Descending.
- Item Limit – limit the number of subsites to display in the list. Works only when webpart displays a list of subsites, if you display the sites in a dropdown list all sites swill be listed regardless of the number you put here.
The webpart can be downloaded here and is free of charge, use for whatever you need.
Unzip the downloaded file and install the Subwebs.wsp file on your Sharepoint server. Instructions on how to install a wsp file can be found here.
If you like and use the webpart and would like to keep it free and updated you can help by contributing some money. This will go to hosting this site and future development of this and other free webparts on this site. Thanks.